Friday, January 14, 2011

all will be well...

...you can ask me how, but only time will tell.

Not many people say they are thankful for their hair. They either don't think about it or don't mention it. Mentioning it would be equivalent to a giant sign that read "I'm a vain, self-centered person". Something about this sign reminds me of Joel McHale's character on Community, who I love, but really no one should say they are thankful for their hair. Well, I am.

I found out last night, or maybe just more fully understood, that one of my friends is losing her hair. She is sick and has no real solution for her rapidly disappearing hair.

There is a picture of us on my desk. Both freshly out of a pond, wearing light blue swimsuits, blonde hair, blue eyes. Despite those basics we don't actually look that similar. I've always been jealous of her naturally slim figure and huge blue eyes. (My eyes all but disappear when I smile). But the point is, the two of us were always the smart blondes. We always had that in common. That's who we were in jr. high before she moved away. And I thought we would always be part of this group.

I've never dyed my hair. I now feel guilty for every day I've complained about a bad hair day. And every time I've panicked because I've just cut off five inches of hair. Five inches sounds like it might be freak-out worthy, but it really isn't for me. I'm about the only one who notices my hair is now higher on my back. I want there to be something I can do for her. Hair might be material, but I don't know what I'd do without mine. It's like a security blanket.

"All will be well, even though sometimes this is hard to tell and the fight is just as frustrating as hell"

I listened to this song last night (and coincidentally, just began playing again) as I thought about my friend and I couldn't seem to fall asleep. She is an amazing and strong person, one of the most brilliant I know, with more confidence than I can shake a stick at. She will be fine. But she deserves better.

2 comments:

  1. You're right, as usual, Miss Amy.

    All will be well.

    L

    ReplyDelete
  2. I hope so.

    I love you. We should talk more.

    A

    ReplyDelete